Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bethenny Frankel: The Original Skinny Girl

I think there is always room for improvement, which is why I’m a believer in self-help books. The one that has resounded with me the most is “A Place of Yes” by Bethenny Frankel. It outlines the 10 rules for getting everything you want out of life. I have given this book to at least 7 people! If you’ve never read one, I suggest you pick this one up or do what I did and buy it on CD. I’m always on the go and don’t have time to sit down and read. Instead I put it on my iPod so I can listen to it when I’m driving or walking Vinnie.

Probably the chapter that hit home most with me was "Breaking the Chain". Breaking the Chain means recognizing the patters you are carrying forward in your life, patterns that belong to your past, and choosing to go a different way when those patterns are destructive. We naturally are programmed to think/act/say what our parents thought/did/said. That's the hard part- to decide how and who you want to be in the world, even if it's different from what your family or peers or friends think. For me I tend to go against the "norm". The norm of what some say a Midwestern 30 something should be doing with her life right now. But guess what? It feels pretty darn good to go against the grain and do what's best for me and what makes me happy. This way I can be a better person and make a difference in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment